[Skip navigation to main content]

Cambridgeshire Mencap

Meet us

Our story

Our story

Our story begins in the 1940s when a group of Cambridge parents decided to do something about the lack of community care for people with learning disabilities and their families in the area. Cambridge Mencap was registered as an independent charity in 1947.

Early in the 1960s the charity bought Edmund House at Milton, a large Victorian building that was adapted for use as a residential care home - the first of its kind in the independent sector. In the late 1980s, the house was replaced by a number of smaller, purpose-built care homes, which still exist today as supported living residences.

At the end of 2008, Cambridge, Fenland, Peterborough and St Ives Mencap merged to form a new charity, Cambridgeshire Mencap, leading to increased capacity and wider reach across the county.

In 2011 the charity’s growing community services department split off to become a separate organisation, Cambridgeshire Mencap in the Community. In February 2014 this charity was renamed Eddie’s, with the original charity becoming The Edmund Trust.

The two charities’ shared history is reflected in their names, and we continue to work closely together to empower and support people with learning disabilities across the county.

 

What we do

What we do

We help people do the things they enjoy most, make new friends, learn new skills and become more independant.

Make a donation

Your support helps us empower people with learning disabilities and their families. It helps them live the lives they want.

[Go back to the top of the page]